Hi i am new to this leather stuff but i have some questions too.
1. What is the use to mink oil ur leather? and basically i don't know what is mink oil
2. Why you want to sun tan your leather? is it to make it darker?
3. How long does leather goods can last? for my understanding all items are bound by wear and tear, so i am just curious how long they will last.
Good points Max. Just wanna add some more points if you don't mind.
1) Mink oil is often used to protect leather and sort of like giving the leather some vitamins, nourishing it. It is actually oil from the mink, as the name suggests. It contains fatty acids which soften the leather fibre but some people are saying it will do harm using mink oil (I shall not dwell more into it as I don't have the concrete evidence that mink oil is no good)
2) as per Max had said. To me, sun tanning also warms up the leather when I intend to apply LP or oil
3)as per Max had said. Unless you thrash the leather in a highly corrosive environment, normal usage and proper sensible care will make it last pretty long. Using Red Wings shoes as example, some even said the boots will outlive the owner if properly maintained. lol
as regarding to what you asked about keeping the leather pinkish. It will get darken overtime and due to our body natural oil and dirt.
x-post from OGL thread: (this is what the leather looks like brand new, and after 2 coats of leather oil)